db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Java Class in Derby Table column?
Date Fri, 08 May 2009 19:31:54 GMT
Hi Jim,

You can always store an arbitrary object in a Derby VARCHAR FOR BIT DATA
column. You just have to write your own serialization logic to turn your
TreeMap into a byte[] and vice versa. Your table would look something
like this:

create table AddressBook
(
    encodedName varchar( 1000) primary key,
    personalDetails varchar for bit data( 32672 )
)

Let me know if I'm being cryptic here. I'd be happy to explain this
solution in greater detail if you think it is useful.

Hope this helps,
-Rick