db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Encoding problem for the Japanese characters on the documentation page
Date Wed, 06 May 2009 07:05:57 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Myrna van Lunteren
> <m.v.lunteren@gmail.com> wrote:
>   
>> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 2:06 AM, Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waagan@sun.com> wrote:
>>     
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It looks to me like something went wrong with the Japanese characters on the
>>> Derby documentation page:
>>> http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html#latest
>>>
>>> Commit 770047 looks like a suspect, and I've just committed a change to fix
>>> the problem.
>>> I only committed a change to the result file (HTML), as the relevant source
>>> hasn't been changed since late March 2007.
>>> My theory is that the problem observed was caused by a bad build or commit,
>>> not invalid source.
>>> Does that sound feasible?
>>>
>>> I updated manuals/index.html (r771249) on people.apache.org a few minutes
>>> ago.
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kristian
>>>
>>>       
>> Thanks for finding this...
>> But I think your commit undid some changes I had put in at Kim's request.
>>
>> With relevant source, you mean, this particular area?

Yes, I meant the code specifying the Japanese characters.
Since they haven't been changed in the source, I'm assuming something 
went bad when committing the new generated HTML file, or possibly 
something went wrong with the build itself.

>> For I did update
>> the manuals/index.xml also with revision 770047. I guess I didn't
>> check the diff closely enough?
>>     
>> I'm trying to avoid making the same mistake in the future - but I'm
>> not sure how I could avoid this. I'm building on windows, maybe that's
>> the difference?
>>     

It's not that often you commit changes involving characters that cannot 
be correctly represented in your default encoding.
I guess we've seen the same before when using some of the Norwegian 
names in the commit messages (i.e. Jørgen, Øystein, Grøvlen).
As usual, the encoding issue is a bit of a mess; the encoding of the 
file, the encoding used by your terminal/IDE and the encoding 
used/expected by Subversion...

>> Regards,
>> Myrna
>>
>>     
>
> Oops, I take that back - your change did fix the bad encoding and left
> the other changes in place. So all is fine now.
>   

Good!


-- 
Kristian

> I still don't understand why my build comes up with these titles in
> bad encoding...I'll make a note in the DerbySnapShotAndRelease page.
>
> Myrna
>   


Mime
View raw message