db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Crowell <JimCrow...@EMail.com>
Subject Partitioning Derby primary keys?
Date Sat, 09 May 2009 15:55:27 GMT

Hi,

This question is a follow up of the following thread:
http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=23451619&framed=y

I have a Java Address Book Data Base that I will be storing in a Derby  Data
Base table using a person unique name as a Column 0 primary key and a
marshaled byte array that represent the Address Book Java Class parameters
in Column 1.

Roughly each Address Book record consist of the following String data:
	Controls -			5 Strings
	Phone Info -			4 Strings
	Web Info -			4 Strings
	Residence Info -		5 Strings
	Intermediator Info -	1 Strings
	Personal Info -		7 Strings
		TOTAL		      26 Strings

I shall be implementing a “persistence” interface, i.e. I’ll write to Derby
each time a field is completed by the Application end user.

The above data sets are entered via 6 Tabbed Panels. Presently I write to an
HDD file as each panel is exited. I write the entire 26 fields each time.

Question:
With the Derby implementation should I segment the Address Book person
unique name
into 6 primary keys as described above [i.e. keyP for “Phone Info”,  keyW
for “Web Info”, etc.] or am I over thinking this processing?

I came up with this design because I plan to implement the “persistent”
feature and, if not segmented, I would write the entire 26 fields each time
a TAB or ENTER|RETURN key is pressed.

Regards,
Jim...

P.S.	As i was composing this message it became obvious to me that I should
segment the person unique name key. Should I have asked anyway or is this
twaddle?

-----
Regards,
Jim...