db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinhas.net>
Subject Re: Building Derby in Eclipse (Windows)
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:51:04 GMT
Hello Ravinder,

My advice regarding building Derby on Eclipse is simple: don't.

Let me elaborate. You will want to use Eclipse to do changes on your code
and whatnot, but I do strongly advise against using Eclipse to do the
building part. For that, we typically use Ant.

Here are a few pointers that you want to look into:

1 - Download Ant (http://ant.apache.org/), extract it, create an environment
variable called ANT_HOME and point it to the directory to where you
extracted Ant.

2 - Add %ANT_HOME%/bin to your PATH variable.

3 - Make sure your JDK is at least version 1.4 and that you have it on your
PATH.

4 - Checkout Derby's trunk from the SVN.

5 - Add junit.jar from JUnit 3.8.2 (http://www.junit.org/ - be sure to
choose 3.8.2) to the tools/java directory in your checkout directory.

6 - Go ahead and try to build:
ant clobber
ant all
and buildjars

Here are also a few helpful links for new developers in our Wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ForNewDevelopers

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/db/derby/code/trunk/BUILDING.html

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/BuildingDerby - This link teaches you how to
use Eclipse to build Derby, but I reiterate my advise of not doing so. You
can follow that tutorial to simply import the project into Eclipse, but I
would do the building manually with the manual ant commands.

Hope it helps!
Tiago