db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinhas.net>
Subject Question about FETCH FIRST
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2009 16:37:21 GMT
Hey everyone,

I have been doing the buddy testing for the OFFSET and FETCH FIRST features
of 10.5.1.1 RC2 [1] and I ran into something that perhaps one of you can
shine me some light on.

The question is about the following SQL statement:
  select * from t1 fetch first 0 rows only;

Should this statement throw an error according to the standard? Or should it
return simply an empty result set?

All in all, we do allow the OFFSET argument to be zero, which has a null
applicability (since you get the whole result set that you would without the
OFFSET clause in the first place) but it can be useful when integrating with
an application. I was just thinking that perhaps the same should apply to
the FETCH FIRST, even though you'll always get an empty record set should
the argument be zero.

[1] - http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgdrw3xt_4f7s6jrht

Regards,
Tiago