db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinhas.net>
Subject Re: SYSIBM schema
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2009 16:44:41 GMT
Rick,
To my understanding, this is like a convenience table. It has exactly one
row, which means that when you do "SELECT current date FROM
sysibm.sysdummy1" you will get exactly one record with the date.

I am not familiar with the concept of 'vacuous VTI' as you mentioned and if
the same can be achieved with that, then my bad.

Tiago

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com>
wrote:

> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>>
>> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>>>
>>> Thanks Kathey. In the metadata queries it seems to be used to construct
empty results sets of specific shapes. That is, its contents are not
examined. Those usages could be replaced with a vacuous vti.

>> While we could make this change, we do need to maintain compatibility
with older clients so the table would have to remain I think.
>> Thanks
>>
>> Kathey
>>

> Thanks, Kathey. Other than compatibility with old clients, do you see any
reason that this table could not be removed eventually?