db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Enabling XPLAIN feature at the DBA level
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2009 14:17:10 GMT
> Not having read the existing information, I'm not sure yet whether I can
> enable the tracing easily for one or all connections without actually
> executing some SQL on the connection. I.e., can a DBA enable tracing for
> a short period to take a "snapshot" of the load?

Not currently, no. The only way that the new functionality can be enabled
at this point is for the connection to execute

   call SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_XPLAIN_SCHEMA('MYSCHEMA');
   call SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_RUNTIMESTATISTICS(1);

and these calls only enable the functionality for the particular session
that makes the calls.

Being able to capture runtime statistics for all active queries at once
is an interesting idea, though. I think it's worth discussing some more.

thanks,

bryan