db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: DERBY-2487 has been committed to the trunk
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2009 07:05:40 GMT
Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
> Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com> writes:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just wanted to let everyone know that I have committed the first change
>> for DERBY-2487 to the trunk today.

Yes, thank you for working on this feature!
I feel that we are lacking visibility of what's going on within a Derby
under load, so I'm very happy to get a way to collect some statistics.

Related to an investigation, I'm currently in the process of adding some
ad-hoc tracing to the client driver. This will be a lot less detailed
than what DERBY-2487 offers, but if I can use tracing information from
both the client and the server, I may be able to obtain some numbers for
the costs incurred by the client driver, network server and the network
itself in my rig/application.

I'll be reading through the user documentation (when it is updated?),
and try out the feature.
Not having read the existing information, I'm not sure yet whether I can
enable the tracing easily for one or all connections without actually
executing some SQL on the connection. I.e., can a DBA enable tracing for
a short period to take a "snapshot" of the load?

Thanks,
--
Kristian