db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Client/Server compatibility testing
Date Fri, 17 Apr 2009 23:56:02 GMT
Suran offered to do some 10.4/10.5 client/server compatibility testing
and asked me to post the procedure.    Perhaps we can make up a Wiki
page so it will be available for future releases.

The idea is to make sure the older client works with the newer server
and the newer client works with the older server at least at the level
of functionality at the lower level jar.  To test 10.4 client with 10.5
server put the following jars in your test directory:

derbyTesting.jar 10.4
derbyClient.jar  10.4
derby.jar 10.5
derbytools.jar 10.5
derbyLocale*.jar 10.5
derbyrun.jar 10.5

and run tests.  You will see similar failures to the ones you saw in
soft upgrade testing and will have to analyze whether they are intended
behavior changes or a problem.  It might make sense to first to complete
DERBY-4170 to make the analysis easier. If you want to do that, just
post the revisions of the test changes that you think should be ported
to the 10.4_10.5testCompat branch and I will put those in.

For 10.5 client with 10.4 server you want the following jar combinations.
derbyTesting.jar 10.4
derbyClient.jar  10.5
derby.jar 10.4
derbytools.jar 10.4
derbyLocale*.jar 10.4
derbyrun.jar 10.4

For this testing the original 10.4.2.0 derbyTesting.jar is probably
going to be better than the modified 10.4_10.5testCompat testing jar.
Again run tests and  analyze the failures.

Ideally it would be great to get some testing with some older releases
too, especially 10.1 since it was the first  non-incubating release, but
the 10.4/10.5 testing would be a great start.

Thanks Suran!

Kathey