db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Issues with SQL Roles
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2009 18:40:13 GMT
Tiago Espinha wrote:
> Hello Kathey,
>
> I overlooked this. I thought that roles were set and used on a by-user
> basis; personally I find it a little counter-productive that the role
> has to be chosen on every session. I am not totally sure how it goes
> on SQL Server or MySQL for example, but at least Oracle loads up all
> the privileges set to that user through roles. Then you can choose
> during that session whether you want to enable or disable certain
> roles: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/statements_10004.htm
>
> We might want to have a look into what's the most common behavior and
> stick with that one; if on the other hand we are sticking to our way
> on this and it differs from the other RDBMS' way then we might want
> indeed to make this more explicit and obvious. I think it is easy to
> overlook the fact that you have to SET a role on top of having been
> granted that role.
Hi Tiago,

Thanks for testing this feature. At startup, a Derby session does not
have a default role. This is discussed in section 5.2 of the functional
specification attached to the master JIRA for roles, DERBY-2207. Having
a fresh set of eyes look at this feature is very helpful.

As the spec notes, according to the ANSI/ISO standard, the default role
for a session is vendor-specific. Derby is starting out neutral on this
topic.

Thanks,
-Rick