db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: [GSoC] derby-optimizerFixes
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2009 14:24:47 GMT
Eranda Sooriyabandara wrote:
> Hi Bryan,
> Now what are the thing we can do other than Learning about the Subject matter?

Hi Eranda,

Regarding your GSoC application, I believe that you can continue to update
your application during the application process. On the Apache side, the
evaluation committee is looking for things like: involvement in the community,
and committment to the open source process:  http://wiki.apache.org/general/RankingProcess
On the Google side, I think they are looking for you to explain how
this will help you improve your development skills:
http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/program/google/gsoc2009/faqs#student_app

You could take a look at a few of the other Derby issues. I think that
Derby-3892 is a somewhat complex issue, there might be others that
are simpler. Try looking at some of the ones on this report:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&pid=10594&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&component=12310640
Find one that interests you, assign it to yourself, and try to fix it.

A few other things that would be great:

  - Have you verified that you can successfully run the regression
    tests for Derby in your environment? You should get 100% pass with
    the current trunk.

  - The Derby 10.5 release is almost ready, and we're doing some final
    testing. You could download the release and help us get it ready,
    for example by finding one of the new features and doing some
    testing on it: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenFiveOneBuddyTesting

  - You can look at Derby issues which are marked "patch-available" and
    help review the patches by studying them, making comments, and downloading
    and applying and testing them: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ForNewDevelopers

I know these things take time; I hope you are able to find some time to
get involved and stay involved in Derby, as I think it will be a rewarding
process for you.

thanks,

bryan