db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 'Issue' with Eclipse
Date Sun, 15 Mar 2009 09:58:12 GMT
Tiago Espinha <tiago@espinhas.net> writes:

> Hey guys, I'm back.

Hi, and welcome back! :)

> Perhaps some of you still remember me from last year. I applied to
> GSoC on the Apache Derby project and unfortunately ended up not
> getting picked. I still hanged around for a while but I ended up
> leaving at some point. This year I'm back and I'm applying for GSoC
> again :)
>
> Right now I'm in a bit of a stalemate with an annoying issue that's
> bothering me. I followed all the steps to build Derby's code and to do
> the testing. I am able to build it now and I can also run derbyall
> with no issues (or close to no issues since derbyall skipped
> derbynetmats, jdbcapi and jdbc20). The problem that I am stuck with is
> actually Eclipse-related.
>
> I have sort of imported Derby into Eclipse and I am getting 1559
> errors. With a quick glance through some of the errors, I notice that
> some of them come from jdbc4 classes, like
> LogicalCallableStatement40.java . On this one I get for example "The
> method setRowId(int, RowId) is undefined for the type
> CallableStatement" and many more errors.

I don't use Eclipse myself, so I don't know how you can fix it, but my
guess is that you have configured it to use Java 5 libraries, so that it
doesn't find some of the new methods in JDBC 4.0. The warning you see in
LogicalCallableStatement40 is because it contains a line which looks
like this:

    getPhysCs().setRowId(arg0, arg1);

getPhysCs()'s signature says that it returns a
java.sql.CallableStatement, but in Java 5 that class didn't have a
setRowId method and therefore you see the warning.

If you use the Java 6 libraries instead, this warning should go
away. Unfortunately, you'll probably get other warnings in the JDBC 3.0
classes instead. (Like complaints because the non-abstract class
LogicalCallableStatement implements java.sql.CallableStatement but
doesn't implement the setRowId method.)

--
Knut Anders