db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 'Issue' with Eclipse
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2009 15:17:42 GMT
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 7:05 AM, Tiago Espinha <tiago@espinhas.net> wrote:
> Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>>
>> Tiago Espinha <tiago@espinhas.net> writes:
>>

>>> Hey guys, I'm back.
>>>

>> Hi, and welcome back! :)
>>

>>> Perhaps some of you still remember me from last year. I applied to
>>> GSoC on the Apache Derby project and unfortunately ended up not
>>> getting picked. I still hanged around for a while but I ended up
>>> leaving at some point. This year I'm back and I'm applying for GSoC
>>> again :)
>>>
>>> Right now I'm in a bit of a stalemate with an annoying issue that's
>>> bothering me. I followed all the steps to build Derby's code and to do
>>> the testing. I am able to build it now and I can also run derbyall
>>> with no issues (or close to no issues since derbyall skipped
>>> derbynetmats, jdbcapi and jdbc20). The problem that I am stuck with is
>>> actually Eclipse-related.
>>>
>>> I have sort of imported Derby into Eclipse and I am getting 1559
>>> errors. With a quick glance through some of the errors, I notice that
>>> some of them come from jdbc4 classes, like
>>> LogicalCallableStatement40.java . On this one I get for example "The
>>> method setRowId(int, RowId) is undefined for the type
>>> CallableStatement" and many more errors.
>>>

>> I don't use Eclipse myself, so I don't know how you can fix it, but my
>> guess is that you have configured it to use Java 5 libraries, so that it
>> doesn't find some of the new methods in JDBC 4.0. The warning you see in
>> LogicalCallableStatement40 is because it contains a line which looks
>> like this:
>>
>>    getPhysCs().setRowId(arg0, arg1);
>>
>> getPhysCs()'s signature says that it returns a
>> java.sql.CallableStatement, but in Java 5 that class didn't have a
>> setRowId method and therefore you see the warning.
>>
>> If you use the Java 6 libraries instead, this warning should go
>> away. Unfortunately, you'll probably get other warnings in the JDBC 3.0
>> classes instead. (Like complaints because the non-abstract class
>> LogicalCallableStatement implements java.sql.CallableStatement but
>> doesn't implement the setRowId method.)
>>

> Hi,
>
> I think you are most likely correct about the Java 5 libraries, but the
> weird thing is that the libraries are actually set for Java 6, so that
> shouldn't be it. It doesn't matter anyway, I just switched over to Netbeans.
> it should be less messy :)
>
> Tiago

If you've switched to netbeans, this info may be like mustard after
the meal (sorry - non-English proverb, I hope it makes sense)...But
here is my 2 c:
You can actually set up eclipse to 'add' the libraries for the other
jdks. I have 3 jdks loaded in my eclipse source derby project.
However, the Derby build process is pretty complex - at least it used
to be - so I've configured eclipse to never build...(although I have
done a right click on the build.xml and built that way at some point
in the past). Normally I build outisde eclipse and run within.

Myrna

Myrna