db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From lee yun <yun.lee...@gmail.com>
Subject Interested in GSOC
Date Sat, 21 Mar 2009 09:51:16 GMT
Kathey Marsden:

Nice to write to you!  I'm a prospective GSOC student from China. I'm glad
to see Derby has been accepted as a mentor organization for this year's
GSOC, and you are the mentor for the subject "derby-testandfix ".
Congratulations!

After having travelled around the links about Derby provided on the wiki
page of SummerOfCode2009 on Apache, I would love to devote this summer on
Derby project.

I'm familiar with java and TDD which I insist on in my development, and I
still wonder:

1. What's the main part of code about Derby in GSOC, the kernel engine or
the outside utils?

2. Are there any other mentors? I have just seen only yourself in the mentor
list, may I know what's your favorite time period for this program.

3. Which skills is needed in the task, Junit, java, and anything else?

4. It's said, "Small projects and incremental check-ins mean your code can
make an impact right away and you have a wide choice of code areas to focus
on." Does it mean I will get access control of  the VCS  for Derby?

5. Besides java, should we use python in coding? Few months ago, I have
touched this language, and fallen in love with this language and would like
to improve my skills on python in development.

6. What can I do before I apply? Any necessary  documents for my future
work?

Thanks for your reply!

Best Regards
Yun Lee