db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Interested in GSOC
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:16:15 GMT
John Embretsen wrote:
> I think it makes sense to *promote* usability improvements, not to
> "hide" them indefinitely in order to avoid inconveniencing a small
> number of users who might start using a version of Derby that is several
> years old.
>
> It is much easier to start the Network Server now than before (10.1?),
> due to various jar file improvements. With the latest releases, the
> entire sections "Configure envoronment" and "Start Network Server" at
> http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/ns_intro.html could actually
> be replaced with a paragraph showing how to run
> "java -jar derbyrun.jar server start"...

Looking more closely at the tutorial, it does instruct you to download
at least 10.4.1.3, so I am ok with using the newer capabilities and
agree it would be nice to point out the derbyrun option.

Yun, could you please file an issue for tutorial improvements and attach
a patch with your change, plus add the derbyrun option?  Make your patch
from the website root so the full path will be there instead of just the
directory where the change was made.

Thanks

Kathey