db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Interested in GSOC
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:00:17 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> yunho lee wrote:

>> 2. Downloaded db-derby-, covered the Derby tutorial,
>> did some sql test on ij, and found a bugger in it, which I will
>> mention below.
> Many students and developers shy away from website and  doc updates, so
> it is good to see you in there and making patches.  You are right about
> the derbynet.jar picking up the derby.jar automatically and it not being
> absolutely necessary now, but I don't think that was always the case.
> Older versions I think require derby.jar in the classpath and since we
> don't have a version specific tutorial, I think we are best off leaving
> it as is.

That may be, but for how long do we want to keep doing that?

I think it makes sense to *promote* usability improvements, not to
"hide" them indefinitely in order to avoid inconveniencing a small
number of users who might start using a version of Derby that is several
years old.

It is much easier to start the Network Server now than before (10.1?),
due to various jar file improvements. With the latest releases, the
entire sections "Configure envoronment" and "Start Network Server" at
http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/ns_intro.html could actually
be replaced with a paragraph showing how to run
"java -jar derbyrun.jar server start"...

It might be worth while to at least make a note in the tutorial that
with newer Derby versions this can be done in an easier way (one needs
to figure out the specific version numbers to which this applies).

View raw message