db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Interested in GSOC
Date Sun, 29 Mar 2009 17:39:43 GMT
yunho lee wrote:

> Kathey and Dag Wanvik/ /:
>
> Thanks to your help on GSOC, I have made some progress these days, now
> asking for more infomation.
>
> What have I done:
>
> 1. I have checked out the code, and done some hacking with the
> instructions on wiki provided by you. Now, I have built my environment
> on Eclipse.
>
> 2. Downloaded db-derby-10.4.2.0-bin.zip, covered the Derby tutorial,
> did some sql test on ij, and found a bugger in it, which I will
> mention below.
Many students and developers shy away from website and  doc updates, so
it is good to see you in there and making patches.  You are right about
the derbynet.jar picking up the derby.jar automatically and it not being
absolutely necessary now, but I don't think that was always the case.
Older versions I think require derby.jar in the classpath and since we
don't have a version specific tutorial, I think we are best off leaving
it as is.

> 3. I have created my JIRA account, and been assigned some issues to ,
> i.e.   DERBY-3991 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3991>,
> DERBY-3853 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3853> and
> DERBY-2769 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2769>. I have
> provided patches for them, but not got much reply until now, maybe as
> it's weekend now. Besides, I planned to accept DERBY-3941
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3941> after getting
> comments from the issue creator. There are some more issues I feel
> interested, but not able to do at this moment as lack of
> related knowledge, :).
It is great to see you involved in the community. I will look at your
patches on Monday.

> As I have learned Database and familiar with java development on
> Eclipse, it's not hard to get familiar with the source code as I
> imagined. The most important reason is that, documents for DERBY is
> very detailed and helpful for new comers.

This is good to hear.
> What I wonder:
>
> 1. About a bug in 'Step 4: Derby Network Server' of 'DERBY
> Turial'(http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/ns_intro.html).
> There is a redundant inclusion on derby.jar for configuring
> environment to start or stop the Network Server. I have make a diff
> file, but don't know whether it's suitable to create a new issue for a
> URL, so I attach it with this letter, and wish for adopting.

> 2. How many students will be accepted by DERBY this year? I have seen
> there were 3 on 2008 on WIKI, is this year too? And how many
> applicants until now?
I don't know. I do know that Google is excepting fewer this year, so
Apache gets less, but I don't know if that will mean Derby gets less.  I
think it mostly depends on the quality of the proposals.  The ASF
admins, not the mentors rank the proposals so it is important to
indicate in your proposal, the work you have done already in the
community, so that they will know about it.

We only have 5 applicants so far, which seems to me much slower than
last year, but we may get a surge at the last minute.

> 3. As I have some lab stuff to deal with before summer, I will do my
> contribution mainly on weekends, just like this week. Is that OK?

That is fine.  Please indicate on your application that you have and
plan to do additional weekend work on Derby before the program begins.
Also indicate your availability this summer,  how many hours per week
you will work on Derby, any other work/school commitments  you have, and
any dates you will be out on vacation.
> 4. I'm interested in both 'derby-testandfix ' and
> 'derby-dblook-authorization', and the latter can also be considered as
> a form of 'fix'. I want to apply  for ''derby-dblook-authorization'',
> does my  existing  work support my application on it ?

Yes, even though you have been doing work outside of dblook, just
setting up your environment and getting started submitting patches is a
significant achievement and will help show you are up to the dblook task.

> 5. Is it proper for me to submit my application now ? Or is there
> still anything else I need do before apply?
Yes, please get it in.  Mentors have a chance to make comments in the
tool before ranking begins, but if you are right up against the
deadline, we might not have a chance.