db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Google Summer of Code applicant information
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2009 20:31:57 GMT
Hello Students!

I sent the following suggestions to a couple of students who applied,
but thought they might be good tips for everyone planning to apply.  The
suggestions are ...

1)  A more extensive proposal outlining your experience with java and
database, your experience if any with Derby, and a more detailed plan of
the work you would like to do this summer.  Ideally, you should
indicate some specific Jira issues that are of interest to you. Finally
please indicate your availability this summer. How many hours a week
will you be working on Derby? Outline other commitments such as school
or work, and specify any dates that you will be not be available because
of vacation etc.

2) Evidence of community involvement.  We like to see students that have
had some interaction with the development community. See
http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_comm.html for information on getting
involved. Right now we are testing our upcoming release and that might
be a good way to get involved with little setup.

Please send an email to derby-dev@db.apache.org  if you have any
questions about getting involved or preparing your proposal.

Also all proposals so far have been for derby-testandfix and
derby-sequence-generators.  You may also want to consider applying for
one of the other projects, derby-dblook-authorization or
derby-optimizer-fixes.  dblook was added later so you may not have seen it.

http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2009

Thanks and I look forward to seeing your applications.

Kathey Marsden