db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: first draft 10.5 release notes
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:06:23 GMT
Hi Myrna,

In addition to the comments which Kathey makes, I would add the following:

- I would amend the description of SQL Roles as follows:

"SQL Roles. SQL roles (as described in SQL 2003 and errata) are useful
for administering privileges for groups of users. Administering roles is
generally less error-prone than administering privileges for individual
users. SQL Roles are defined in Feature T331 "Basic roles" and Feature
T332 "Extended roles". Derby 10.5 implements a subset of T331, plus
support for CURRENT_ROLE, which is a part of T332."

- Generated Columns: "WHERE clauseSQL" -> "WHERE clause"

- The description of the ALTER COLUMN enhancement seems to have been

- We should include 3652 in the list of fixed issues and in the section
of Issues which have release notes.

- Under "Build Environment", I think that we can remove the OSGi
blurb--there's nothing environment-specific about this part of the build

Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Thanks Myrna for working on the release notes.  I have the following
> initial comments from a quick look.
> I think it would be good to include in the list of new features the
> new stored procedure
> Under Generated Columns we have:
> "The customer declares indexes on these columns." It would be better
> to say user than customer
> In-memory back end should mention that the feature is not yet
> documented or fully implemented and the user interface may change, but
> users are welcome to experiment with it.
> The issues section says
>    Compared with the previous release (, Derby release
> introduces the following new features and
>    incompatibilities. These merit your special attention.
>    But the section doesn't really include new features.
> Is one of the resolved issues that will be added DERBY-2991?   That's
> one of my favorite fixes and I don't see it.
> That's it for now.
> Kathey

View raw message