db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: CLOB performance
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2009 10:27:25 GMT
Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waagan@Sun.COM> writes:

> Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
>> Thanks for the good work!
>>
>> Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waagan@Sun.COM> writes:
>>
>>> testFetchLargeClobPieceByPiece               673707     624639      3370
>>> testFetchLargeClobPieceByPieceBackwards     1138559    1059045      2863
>>
>> Interesting; fetching backwards is faster than forwards? :) Test
>> artifact, or?
>
> Hi Dag,
>
> I certainly hope I haven't optimized for fetching LOBs backwards!

It looks like there are some differences between those tests. They fetch
chunks of different sizes, and one of them performs sanity checking
against a LoopingAlphabetReader whereas the other one doesn't. So I
don't think we can say that fetching backwards is faster just by looking
at those numbers.

--
Knut Anders