db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: 10.6 planning
Date Sat, 21 Feb 2009 00:32:02 GMT
Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@Sun.COM> writes:

> I'd like to ask the user list to vote on issues which they'd like us
> to work on for 10.6. For the record, here are the ten most popular
> issues today (according to
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:popularissues-panel
> ). Asterisks flag the issues which we're working on already:

+1

I think this is a reasonable way to focus some attention on our voting
system for issues. If users hear that a) we do look at those (viz. we
are already working on some), and b) what's more, we intend to do so
again for our next release planning, then I think this probably one of
the few ways in which we can elecit some meaningful feedback beyond
what we already see on the user list (common complaints) and anecdotal
information. I do not suggest we indicate that anyone is necessarily
going to work on the top issues, of course - this is open source - but
I still think that some/many (take your pick) users would appreciate a
chance to influence the priorities.

Important bugs or features, votes for both categories are welcome, I
say.

>    * in-memory DB
>    - global sequence generators
>    * limit-offset improvements
>    - boolean datatype
>    * index-split deadlock
>    - global case-insensitive setting
>    - full-text indexing
>    - derby server as a Windows service
>    - backward index scans
>    - "unique where not null" syntax

> I'll hold off for a week to give this list the opportunity to add more
> candidate issues to JIRA.

Yes, issues developers are interested in working on should be on the
list, too. Since three issues are already being worked on, the list
effectively gives only 7 "selectable" issues. We should aim for some
more..

Perhaps we should also invite interested users to pick from the full
JIRA list if they are up to its volume ;-)

Thanks,
Dag