db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: DERBY-2487 for 10.5?
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 12:57:39 GMT
Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com> writes:

> I'm interested in pursuing whether DERBY-2487 could be completed
> in time for the Derby 10.5 release. The current draft schedule
> on the Wiki suggests a branch creation date of March 16, which
> doesn't leave a huge amount of time.
>
> However, I think that the DERBY-2487 patch is in pretty good shape,
> so I think it's reasonable to consider this as a candidate for the
> release.
>
> What does the community think? Would this be too aggressive? Are
> there particular issues with the patch which people feel are blockers
> at this point? Is anybody interested in reviewing the patch in
> greater detail prior to commit? What risks do people see in including
> this patch in 10.5?
>
> Please understand, I'm not proposing to commit the patch now; I'm
> anticipating a fair amount more work on the patch prior to commit.
> But I do think it's quite possible it could be ready in time for
> the 10.5 release, and I'd like to make that happen if possible.

Hi Bryan,

It looks like the patch is almost exclusively adding new code, and
barely changes any existing code paths, so the risk of breaking existing
functionality is not that big. So if you think that it's not very likely
that we'll have to change the API when we get more experience with it
(which can be difficult if users have started depending on it), I'd say
that you should go for it.

--
Knut Anders