db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Bumping the fourth digit
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 15:27:10 GMT
Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@Sun.COM> writes:

> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>> My actual preference here is if there's a need for release with,
>> let's say, 2 bug fixes, go ahead and release officially. :-) I would
>> think that a branch + 2 fixes (or however many) would be an easy
>> shoe-in for a release vote because all the heavy lifting was done on
>> that release for that branch.
> This would be a way forward if our release process were simpler. I
> think that our procedures are improving, but as Myrna points out in a
> later message, producing a Derby release takes a fair amount of
> time. The community process adds a minimum of 2 weeks to the
> production of a patch release. That's too long for someone who needs
> to get an emergency patch to a customer.

It could work, though. Whoever needs to ship an emergency fix to a
customer could still do that with the release candidate while the
community is voting over it. Even if the release candidate is rejected
by the community, the version number will match a well-defined point on
the branch (and in JIRA), just like any other rejected release
candidate.

--
Knut Anders