db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Looking for a clue or a theory
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2009 21:52:16 GMT
On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Bryan Pendleton
<bpendleton@amberpoint.com> wrote:
>>> I'm studying the DERBY-2487 patch proposal, and have encountered some
>>> strange behavior that I don't understand.
>
> Thanks Knut for the suggestions, although I think the problem was elsewhere.
>
> I think I've found the problem. It was very strange and subtle, and so
> I'd like to describe it here and ask for advice.
>
> HOWEVER, perhaps this method was intentionally omitted? Is there a reason
> that
> this method was missing?
>
> For now, I'll experiment with adding this method and running all the
> regression
> tests, but if anybody knows anything about why this method was missing from
> the interface and whether that was important, please let me know.
>
> thanks,
>
> bryan

For what it's worth, the old Cloudscape source does include the method
in the equivalent class. I tried to check whether it was dropped
during contribution or sometime later by browsing the svn index
(http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/db/derby/) but the svn server is down
for scheduled maintenance (I must've missed an announcement).

By the way, this seems separate from DERBY-2487, it probably warrants
a separate bug...

Myrna