db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bumping the fourth digit
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:36:09 GMT
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Kristian Waagan
<Kristian.Waagan@sun.com> wrote:
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>>
>> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>>
>>> Where should be track that association of external releases with
>>> subversion commit-stamps? On the wiki? In a special JIRA entry?
>>>
>> I think when you create a version, you can put in a comment which is
>> displayed here:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:versions-panel
>>
>> Can these comments be edited?  If so, we could update them with the final
>> subversion commit for the version.
>
> Yes, the comments can be edited by those listed as administrators for the
> Derby Jira project. This list currently consists of the following people:
> Andrew McIntyre, Jean T. Anderson, Kristian Waagan, Rick Hillegas, Rodent of
> Unusual Size. The role of an administrator mostly consists of merging /
> managing versions, assigning new contributers to the developer role,
> assigning developers to the committer role, and assigning people to the PMC
> role. Except for the ability to assign issues to oneself when being in the
> list of contributers, I'm not sure if the other roles are actually paid
> attention to or used for anything special.
> Did I forget something?
>
> Also, we share a Jira instance with many other ASF projects, so the
> possibility to make custom changes may have been somewhat restricted. In
> general, I think Jira is working nicely. The most annoying thing coming up
> in my mind, is that you can't set the patch available flag when you upload a
> new file. It has to be done in a separate step. This is no big deal though.
>
> I also like to have a release date set for the various releases, but it is
> not quite clear to me which date is considered as the release date;
> o the date of the latest Subversion commit for the release?
> o the date the release artifacts are published and made publicly available?
> o the date when the release was built?
> o the date the community vote passes?
> o a date determined by the release manager?
> o another date?
>

> --
> Kristian
>

>> Kathey

I agree that this spot in JIRA seems the perfect place to log info re
the 4th digit versions. I think once we know, maybe we could even add
the first revision as of which the new 4th digit version is valid.

Re date for official builds - from a support point of view I'd say the
built date - this is something we can have a user check on in addition
to the build number we get from sysinfo. (jar -tvf on e.g. derby.jar)
to see if they've got the officially posted build, or a build from
somewhere else...
Or maybe we can have a little more extensive info listed here for the
official builds - for instance: last commit revision: 12345 on
mm-dd-yyyy; build date: mm-dd-yyyy; vote passed: mm-dd-yyyy. (Some of
that info won't be available at the time the version is entered in
JIRA, of course).

Going back to the fourth digit issue - how do we proceed, can we just
accept this as our policy (and then Rick can redo his commit provided
some bookkeeping of 10.4.2.1 fixes is done) or do we need to vote on
this process?

Myrna