db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bumping the fourth digit
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:26:14 GMT
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 5:53 AM, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Can you help me understand why we need to add 2 new versions to JIRA and not
> just 1? One of the versions means "the next official release on this
> branch". I understand what to do with that release id: I put it in the
> "fixed in" field.
>
> But I don't understand what to do with the other version. Does the other
> version mean "the next (unofficial) patch distribution on this branch"? Is
> this release id meant to go in the "affects version" field? There has been
> some discomfort expressed on this email thread about using the JIRA fields
> to hold the release ids of distributions which were created outside the
> community.
>
> How do you think the 2 JIRA release ids should they be used in JIRA reports?

We've gone over this before. See this thread and specifically my reply here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200708.mbox/%3C54ac72d70708141631y6f5635d4s3e0b6b08a13ab762@mail.gmail.com%3E

I think what is important to maintain is that the 'fixed in' version
in JIRA matches the sysinfo version, so that one can match fixes in
JIRA to what is in a specific build by examining the range of
subversion commits bounded by the version number and build number of
the build artifact.

I think the 'next' version is useful for release planning, but if it's
not actually being used for that in any meaningful way, then I can see
why they might be viewed as clutter. Certainly the '11.0.0.0' version
is a 'next' version that is meaningful, but perhaps the branch 'next'
versions are not.

I think it's ok to bump the fourth digit of the version for any reason
you like, as long as you're not promoting the idea that builds created
around those version bumps qualify as official Apache releases.

andrew