db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: 10.6 planning
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:24:45 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I'd like to ask the user list to vote on issues which they'd like us
> to work on for 10.6. For the record, here are the ten most popular
> issues today (according to
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:popularissues-panel

> ). Asterisks flag the issues which we're working on already:
>
>    * in-memory DB
>    - global sequence generators
>    * limit-offset improvements
>    - boolean datatype
>    * index-split deadlock
>    - global case-insensitive setting
>    - full-text indexing
>    - derby server as a Windows service
>    - backward index scans
>    - "unique where not null" syntax

DERBY-700 (Derby does not prevent dual boot of database from different
class loaders)
is a huge problem and I have seen it lead to corruption in many user
cases.  If anyone has any fresh ideas on how to address that one it
would be a big plus for 10.6.

Another one that comes up often in practice and tends to give users a
big surprise is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3609 (Wrong
functonality of auto-generated keys support), specifically lack of
support for  autogenerated keys for multirow inserts. Since this is a
standard deviation it would be good to see it fixed.  Currently I am the
only one that has voted for it, but I know it has hit others.

I think users don't tend to vote for these issues because they just
expect they will work.  Then they are hit and have to work around it
somehow so don't bother voting then.

Kathey