db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Bumping the fourth digit
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:18:47 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 5:53 AM, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> Can you help me understand why we need to add 2 new versions to JIRA and not
>> just 1? One of the versions means "the next official release on this
>> branch". I understand what to do with that release id: I put it in the
>> "fixed in" field.
>>
>> But I don't understand what to do with the other version. Does the other
>> version mean "the next (unofficial) patch distribution on this branch"? Is
>> this release id meant to go in the "affects version" field? There has been
>> some discomfort expressed on this email thread about using the JIRA fields
>> to hold the release ids of distributions which were created outside the
>> community.
>>
>> How do you think the 2 JIRA release ids should they be used in JIRA reports?
>>

> We've gone over this before. See this thread and specifically my reply here:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200708.mbox/%3C54ac72d70708141631y6f5635d4s3e0b6b08a13ab762@mail.gmail.com%3E
>
> I think what is important to maintain is that the 'fixed in' version
> in JIRA matches the sysinfo version, so that one can match fixes in
> JIRA to what is in a specific build by examining the range of
> subversion commits bounded by the version number and build number of
> the build artifact.
>
> I think the 'next' version is useful for release planning, but if it's
> not actually being used for that in any meaningful way, then I can see
> why they might be viewed as clutter. Certainly the '11.0.0.0' version
> is a 'next' version that is meaningful, but perhaps the branch 'next'
> versions are not.
>
> I think it's ok to bump the fourth digit of the version for any reason
> you like, as long as you're not promoting the idea that builds created
> around those version bumps qualify as official Apache releases.
>
> andrew

Thanks for that pointer, Andrew. That helps me understand your thinking
better. That thread aired a lot of useful opinions and proposed several
productive models. It seems to me that the thread tapered off without
reaching consensus. That could help explain why so many models are still
in play here.

I am prepared to declare an end to this original email thread. It seems
to me that

1) There is broad consensus that it's ok to bump the fourth digit of the
release id often and without initiating a community discussion.

2) We may need to launch a new discussion to settle the meaning of our
JIRA release ids and the meaning of the "affects version" and "fixed in
version" fields.

Thanks,
-Rick