db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Bumping the fourth digit
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 13:53:55 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> I prefer the first approach. I would like to summarize its features:
>>
>> a) Any committer can bump the 4th digit of the release id without initiating
>> a community discussion. This lets people create new patch distributions with
>> unique release ids that distinguish them from community releases.
>>

> +1 - I also think that any committer should feel free to bump the
> fourth version whenever they feel like it.
>
> On a side note, there's nothing to say you can't still build snapshots
> if you want to share with the dev list what you built. You just
> shouldn't publicize it elsewhere.
>

>> b) When the release manager publishes a new official release, the 4th digit
>> of the release id is bumped on the branch. The meaning of the branch id is
>> "the next (unofficial) patch distribution produced on this branch." At the
>> same time, a new release id is added to JIRA. The meaning of this new JIRA
>> release id is "the next official release on this branch". This release id is
>> even further advanced: its 3rd digit is bumped.
>>

> +1. I think the lack of a "next" JIRA ID for 10.3 and 10.4 is simply
> oversight, I know I forgot to add 10.3.4.0 after releasing 10.3.3.0.
> I've gone ahead and added them. I will update item 13 in the release
> instructions to be clear that two new versions need to be added at the
> end of the process.
>
> andrew

Hi Andrew,

Can you help me understand why we need to add 2 new versions to JIRA and
not just 1? One of the versions means "the next official release on this
branch". I understand what to do with that release id: I put it in the
"fixed in" field.

But I don't understand what to do with the other version. Does the other
version mean "the next (unofficial) patch distribution on this branch"?
Is this release id meant to go in the "affects version" field? There has
been some discomfort expressed on this email thread about using the JIRA
fields to hold the release ids of distributions which were created
outside the community.

How do you think the 2 JIRA release ids should they be used in JIRA reports?

Thanks,
-Rick