db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Bumping the fourth digit
Date Sat, 14 Feb 2009 01:35:10 GMT
Given other's input it seems like it might cause too much problem
to change either to lower number of digits and/or to include the
build number in the last digit.  I'd rather not cause more confusion
for users with any change, especially a change that goes into a
released branch.  I don't think there is any need to tie it to a
specific external release, point release, or anything.  It is merely
a change to the branch that allows one to correctly identify using
sysinfo the version that contains all previous changes to the branch.
It may cause some confusion as there will be release id's that don't
match up with apache releases, but we already get those when we go
through the standard release voting process and decide to throw out
one release in place for the next one.

So I would go with the original proposal and allow any committer to
bump the 4th number after any change in a branch.  It probably would
be useful to also promote the build number to be as easily retrievable
as any of the 4 digits.  I think someone in the discussion said it
some cases it was not as easily available as the version number.   Would
be nice if we get a JIRA out there identifying this problem.

/mikem