db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Bumping the fourth digit
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 17:52:16 GMT
Mike Matrigali wrote:
> I don't have a problem with allowing 4th digit bumps to any branch
> by any committer.  If someone wanted to bump this with every change
> I also would not have a problem.  As Kathey mentioned this would
> force a query recompile for every fix which might be safer, rather
> than force someone to remember it if the fix required the recompile.
> Even if there is not an official apache release
> it can help the discussion between developers working on their own
> builds off the branch to better exactly describe the code they are
> working.  The svn build number included helps with this but some
> tools and applications just deal with the 4 part version number more
> naturally.
>
> Should we just change the build process to make the 4th digit
> the build number, ie. the svn number of the last change included
> in the build?  This would give an exact release id for every
> change and not require manual intervention.  Does this break something?
> I know some process requires one of these numbers to be 0 to force
> a bets.
>
> I don't think we should have JIRA referring to any external releases
> made by anyone.  But it would be nice in JIRA to be able exactly
> refer to a point in a branch, even if it is not released yet.  This
> way a bug could be logged that say is a regression to the unreleased
> branch but does not affect changes before X.  Currently I just add
> comments saying the regression happened with change # xxxxx, but it
> would be better to be able to update the jira affects version field
> with something exact.  For instance this could allow someone how wants to
> make an official apache release to run a query and decide to make it
> include changes up to X release id but not everything as there is an
> outstanding issue.

What if we added a new JIRA field to supplement the "affects version"
field? The new field could be a short text box for recording specific
subversion commit-stamps. This could be blank for issues filed against
official releases but could be useful for identifying other points on
the community branches.

Regards,
-Rick