db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Bumping the fourth digit
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:05:29 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> I am beginning to wonder about whether we really need 4 part release
> ids. It seems to me that a distribution is uniquely identified by a
> branch id (10.1, 10.2, etc.) plus a subversion commit-stamp. So to
> continue with Kathey's example, the following release id contains all
> the information we need: 10.3.706492.

I am uncomfortable with changing the version string in this way,
especially on the release branches.  I am also uncomfortable even in
changing it as Mike suggested. I think I know some users that explicitly
expect and parse the 4 part version string.    If you like I can check
with them, but I would rather not go down this path if we can avoid it.

Kathey