db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Bumping the fourth digit
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 21:24:51 GMT
Mike Matrigali wrote:
> I don't have a problem with allowing 4th digit bumps to any branch
> by any committer.  If someone wanted to bump this with every change
> I also would not have a problem.  As Kathey mentioned this would
> force a query recompile for every fix which might be safer, rather
> than force someone to remember it if the fix required the recompile.
> Even if there is not an official apache release
> it can help the discussion between developers working on their own
> builds off the branch to better exactly describe the code they are
> working.  The svn build number included helps with this but some
> tools and applications just deal with the 4 part version number more
> naturally.
>
> Should we just change the build process to make the 4th digit
> the build number, ie. the svn number of the last change included
> in the build?  This would give an exact release id for every
> change and not require manual intervention.  Does this break something?
> I know some process requires one of these numbers to be 0 to force
> a bets.
>
> I don't think we should have JIRA referring to any external releases
> made by anyone.  But it would be nice in JIRA to be able exactly
> refer to a point in a branch, even if it is not released yet.  This
> way a bug could be logged that say is a regression to the unreleased
> branch but does not affect changes before X.  Currently I just add
> comments saying the regression happened with change # xxxxx, but it
> would be better to be able to update the jira affects version field
> with something exact.  For instance this could allow someone how wants to
> make an official apache release to run a query and decide to make it
> include changes up to X release id but not everything as there is an
> outstanding issue.

I am beginning to wonder about whether we really need 4 part release
ids. It seems to me that a distribution is uniquely identified by a
branch id (10.1, 10.2, etc.) plus a subversion commit-stamp. So to
continue with Kathey's example, the following release id contains all
the information we need: 10.3.706492.

Regards,
-Rick