db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Bumping the fourth digit
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:29:35 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>>> That www.apache.org/dev/release.html policy governs distribution of
>>> software produced by an Apache project and made available for
>>> download from  an Apache website.
>>>
>>> Why are we concerned about tracking releases produced by non-Apache
>>> entities, such as Sun?
>> And IBM. And anyone else who wants to build a distribution from the
>> community branches. We're talking about tracking and fixing bugs
>> which are logged against commit points on a community codeline,
>> whether that is the development mainline or one of our stable
>> branches. This is useful to everyone who drinks out of the common well.
>>

> but it doesn't make sense for an apache project to reference somebody
> else's external (non-Apache) build or distribution.  --That's a
> slippery slope that would then need to accommodate anybody who comes
> along. And we should never bump the Derby release number to
> accommodate an external project.
Hi Jean,

If you need to fix bugs in the metadata queries, then you have to bump
the last digit of the release id in order to coax Derby into recompiling
the queries. This is what IBM did to fix DERBY-3919. Committers fix bugs
all the time in order to accommodate external projects. Do you believe
that the community has agreed to a limitation on updates to the last
digit of the release id, and if so, what are those limitations?

Thanks,
-Rick