db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Bumping the fourth digit
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:57:30 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>> Kathey Marsden wrote:

>>> I think we cannot include an url to the Sun build in Jira.
>>> According to:
>>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
>>>
>>> "Do not include any links on the project website that might
>>> encourage non-developers to download and use nightly builds,
>>> snapshots, release candidates, or any other similar package.
>>> Under no circumstances are unapproved builds a substitute for
>>> releases. If this policy seems inconvenient, then release more
>>> often. Proper release management is a key aspect of Apache software
>>> development.
>>>
>> That www.apache.org/dev/release.html policy governs distribution of
>> software produced by an Apache project and made available for
>> download from  an Apache website.
>>
>> Why are we concerned about tracking releases produced by non-Apache
>> entities, such as Sun?
> And IBM. And anyone else who wants to build a distribution from the
> community branches. We're talking about tracking and fixing bugs which
> are logged against commit points on a community codeline, whether that
> is the development mainline or one of our stable branches. This is
> useful to everyone who drinks out of the common well.

but it doesn't make sense for an apache project to reference somebody
else's external (non-Apache) build or distribution.  --That's a slippery
slope that would then need to accommodate anybody who comes along. And
we should never bump the Derby release number to accommodate an external
project.

 -jean