db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Bumping the fourth digit
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:47:40 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>>
>>> As a test of this, I have updated the description of 10.4.2.1. You
>>> can see this by clicking on the link you forwarded. Does this format
>>> look reasonable to you?
>>>
>> I think we cannot include an url to the Sun build in Jira.  According
>> to:
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
>>
>> "Do not include any links on the project website that might encourage
>> non-developers to download and use nightly builds, snapshots, release
>> candidates, or any other similar package.
>> Under no circumstances are unapproved builds a substitute for
>> releases. If this policy seems inconvenient, then release more often.
>> Proper release management is a key aspect of Apache software
>> development.
>>
> That www.apache.org/dev/release.html policy governs distribution of
> software produced by an Apache project and made available for download
> from  an Apache website.
>
> Why are we concerned about tracking releases produced by non-Apache
> entities, such as Sun?
And IBM. And anyone else who wants to build a distribution from the
community branches. We're talking about tracking and fixing bugs which
are logged against commit points on a community codeline, whether that
is the development mainline or one of our stable branches. This is
useful to everyone who drinks out of the common well.

Regards,
-Rick