db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Bumping the fourth digit
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:40:29 GMT
Kristian Waagan wrote:
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>> Where should be track that association of external releases with
>>> subversion commit-stamps? On the wiki? In a special JIRA entry?
>>>
>> I think when you create a version, you can put in a comment which is
>> displayed here:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:versions-panel

>> Can these comments be edited?  If so, we could update them with the
>> final subversion commit for the version.
>
> Yes, the comments can be edited by those listed as administrators for
> the Derby Jira project. This list currently consists of the following
> people: Andrew McIntyre, Jean T. Anderson, Kristian Waagan, Rick
> Hillegas, Rodent of Unusual Size. The role of an administrator mostly
> consists of merging / managing versions, assigning new contributers to
> the developer role, assigning developers to the committer role, and
> assigning people to the PMC role. Except for the ability to assign
> issues to oneself when being in the list of contributers, I'm not sure
> if the other roles are actually paid attention to or used for anything
> special.
> Did I forget something?
>
> Also, we share a Jira instance with many other ASF projects, so the
> possibility to make custom changes may have been somewhat restricted.
> In general, I think Jira is working nicely. The most annoying thing
> coming up in my mind, is that you can't set the patch available flag
> when you upload a new file. It has to be done in a separate step. This
> is no big deal though.
>
> I also like to have a release date set for the various releases, but
> it is not quite clear to me which date is considered as the release date;
> o the date of the latest Subversion commit for the release?
> o the date the release artifacts are published and made publicly
> available?
> o the date when the release was built?
> o the date the community vote passes?
> o a date determined by the release manager?
> o another date?
For official releases, I think it will look goofy if the release date
here doesn't agree with the release date on the download page. I don't
think the download page has had a consistent policy over the last four
years. For the past couple releases, the date on the download page is
the day that the vote passed. For 10.4.1.3, it is the day after the vote
passed. Since an Apache distribution isn't considered "released" until
after the vote ends, that's the earliest date I would recommend for this
field. Going forward, I'd be happy to standardize on the date that the
vote passed.

For unofficial releases, I guess it's up to whoever produced the
distribution to declare when they think that the distribution was released.