db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Bumping the fourth digit
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:56:24 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>

>> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe we can simply follow a policy that whenever someone needs it,
>>> the fourth digit can be bumped?
>>> Like, a request to derby-dev, so the JIRA administrators can add a
>>> version? The person requesting the bump should ensure JIRA's affected
>>> have the correct version #.
>>>
>>> This would make fourth digit a kind of informal patch level, but we'd
>>> not necessarily save the builds.
>>>
>>> Opinions?
>>>

>> I think that sounds ok.  I agree the Jira fix version should match
>> sysinfo, so whoever is making the unofficial patch level should bump
>> the version immediately after making the jars they plan to hand out in
>> preparation for the next round.
>>

> Sounds good to me too. For a new release on the branch we bump the third
> digit and reset the fourth digit, so bumping the fourth digit more
> frequently than we currently do shouldn't have any impact on the version
> number for any upcoming (official) release.

I think this is a reasonable accommodation for people who donate fixes
back to the community and who have to give real customers emergency
patches faster than the community can operate. However, I think that the
community needs to know the subversion commit-stamps of these external
distributions--otherwise these release ids are not meaningful to JIRA.

Where should be track that association of external releases with
subversion commit-stamps? On the wiki? In a special JIRA entry?

Thanks,
-Rick