db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Bumping the fourth digit (was Re: svn commit: r742512 - /db/derby/code/branches/10.4/tools/ant/properties/release.properties)
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 22:24:05 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> Maybe we can simply follow a policy that whenever someone needs it,
> the fourth digit can be bumped?
> Like, a request to derby-dev, so the JIRA administrators can add a
> version? The person requesting the bump should ensure JIRA's affected
> have the correct version #.
>
> This would make fourth digit a kind of informal patch level, but we'd
> not necessarily save the builds.
>
> Opinions?

I think that sounds ok.  I agree the Jira fix version should match
sysinfo, so whoever is making the unofficial patch level should bump the
version immediately after making the jars they plan to hand out in
preparation for the next round.

The downside is that it may confuse users, because they don't have
access to these versions referred to in Jira from the Derby site, but
they will still be listed as unreleased, so it should be ok. They can
all be merged into the real Derby release if and when there is one.

It would, of course, be best if we could have a corresponding Derby
release,  so the whole community could benefit, but the overhead and the
turnaround time (at least 7 days for a vote) is just not practical. It's
too bad posting snapshots is no longer allowed.

Kathey