db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: CLOB performance
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2009 08:54:12 GMT
Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
> Thanks for the good work!
>
> Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waagan@Sun.COM> writes:
>
>> testFetchLargeClobPieceByPiece               673707     624639      3370
>> testFetchLargeClobPieceByPieceBackwards     1138559    1059045      2863
>
> Interesting; fetching backwards is faster than forwards? :) Test
> artifact, or?

Hi Dag,

I certainly hope I haven't optimized for fetching LOBs backwards!

Looking at ClobAccessTest, I see that several tests that are fetching
only one Clob are fetching the same Clob. When I get some free cycles,
I'll add a mechanism to avoid doing this. My theory is that some caching
effects are in play. I'll post my findings when I have had look at the
issue.

--
Kristian