db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Kathey Marsden (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Commented: (DERBY-4077) Intermittent failure java.lang.NullPointerException: name can't be null with IBM 1.6 and encryptionECB/encryptDatabase test
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:09:13 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4077?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12677482#action_12677482
] 

Kathey Marsden commented on DERBY-4077:
---------------------------------------

I think for starters I will just log the places  and the reason where we change to ReadOnly
in LogToFile where we weren't ReadOnly before and leave the NPE.  If we add the ReadOnly change
logging that will come first in the log and will give sufficient information as to what the
problem is.

I think this will not affect existing read only users because their database will have been
set ReadOnly earlier when we were accessing the lock.   I will test a full read only database
just to make sure.




> Intermittent failure java.lang.NullPointerException: name can't be null with IBM 1.6
and encryptionECB/encryptDatabase test
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: DERBY-4077
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4077
>             Project: Derby
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: Store
>    Affects Versions: 10.5.0.0
>         Environment: java version "1.6.0"
> Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build pxi3260sr3-20081106_07(SR3))
> IBM J9 VM (build 2.4, J2RE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 Linux x86-32 jvmxi3260-20081105_25433 (JIT
enabled, AOT enabled)
> J9VM - 20081105_025433_lHdSMr
> JIT  - r9_20081031_1330
> GC   - 20081027_AB)
> JCL  - 20081106_01
>            Reporter: Kathey Marsden
>         Attachments: encryptionECB.zip
>
>
> Very rarely on IBM 1.6  on Linux we get this failure with the 
> encryptDatabase test.
> The trace looks like:
> java.lang.NullPointerException: name can't be null
> 		 at java.io.FilePermission.init(FilePermission.java:183)
> 		 at 
> java.io.FilePermission.<init>(FilePermission.java:267)
> 		 at 
> java.lang.SecurityManager.checkRead(SecurityManager.java:871)
> 		 at java.io.File.list(File.java:983)
> 		 at 
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.BaseDataFileFactory.run(Bas
> eDataFileFactory.java:2640)
> 		 at 
> java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.jav
> a:251)
> 		 at 
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.BaseDataFileFactory.removeS
> tubs(BaseDataFileFactory.java:1591)
> 		 at 
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.BaseDataFileFactory.stop(Ba
> seDataFileFactory.java:499)
> 		 at 
> org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.TopService.stop(TopServic
> e.java:405)
> 		 at 
> org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.TopService.shutdown(TopSe
> rvice.java:349)
> 		 at 
> org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.shutdown(Base
> Monitor.java:239)
> 		 at 
> org.apache.derby.impl.db.DatabaseContextImpl.cleanupOnError(Data
> baseContextImpl.java:60)
> 		 at 
> org.apache.derby.iapi.services.context.ContextManager.cleanupOnE
> rror(ContextManager.java:332)
> 		 at 
> org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.cleanupOnErro
> r(TransactionResourceImpl.java:419)
> 		 at 
> org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.<init>(EmbedConnec
> tion.java:584)
> 		 at 
> org.apache.derby.jdbc.Driver40.getNewEmbedConnection(Driver40.ja
> va:68)
> 		 at 
> org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver.connect(InternalDriver.java
> :238)
> 		 at 
> org.apache.derby.jdbc.AutoloadedDriver.connect(AutoloadedDriver.
> java:119)
> 		 at 
> java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:316)
> 		 at 
> java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:297)
> 		 at 
> org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.ij.dynamicConnection(ij.java:1329
> )
> 		 at 
> org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.ij.ConnectStatement(ij.java:1179)
> 		 at 
> org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.ij.ijStatement(ij.java:1007)
> 		 at 
> org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.utilMain.runScriptGuts(utilMain.j
> ava:328)
> 		 at 
> org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.utilMain.go(utilMain.java:248)
> 		 at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.Main.go(Main.java:215)
> 		 at 
> org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.Main.mainCore(Main.java:181)
> 		 at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.Main.main(Main.java:73)
> 		 at org.apache.derby.tools.ij.main(ij.java:59)
> or something similar. It happens at different areas of the code 
> but always with File.list(). 
> I haven't been able to reproduce despite running the test 1500 times. I also haven't
figured out yet how to get the java.lang.NullPointerException: name can't be null message
in a stand alone java program.
> I will attache the test files.

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


Mime
View raw message