db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 10.5 target release date
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2009 08:49:53 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunteren@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you all for your input about pending / upcoming / expected work...
>
> I saw on the 10.4 release page that we had a beta build.
> Can anyone remember why we needed a beta build?

We may have posted a note on derby-user asking for testers, I don't
remember, but I think the primary reason was to let the release manager
set up the build environment and test it before the first release
candidate.

> (I think in derby's version mechanism, the first 'release' off a new
> branch is labelled 'beta' by derby's version mechanism (if I remember
> correctly) - is that connected)?

Here's how I understand the version mechanism:

  - the release is labelled alpha as long as the third digit in the
  version is 0 (and it is 0 when you create the branch)

  - the release is labelled beta if the third digit is non-zero and
  tools/ant/properties/release.properties says beta=true (and it is true
  when you create the branch)

Both the version number and the beta flag can be changed before you
build the first release off the branch, so technically there is no need
for an alpha or a beta.

--
Knut Anders