db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Google Summer of Code thoughts
Date Sat, 24 Jan 2009 18:50:04 GMT
I've been thinking about next summer's Google Summer of Code
(http://code.google.com/soc). In particular, I've been thinking
about possible Derby-related projects that we might suggest to
potential SoC interns.

I've listed several possibilities below, and am interested in
getting some feedback, including:
  - do these projects seem appropriate (not too big, not too small,
    can be sub-divided into smaller projects and smaller steps
    successfully, have a coherent theme, would be appealing to an
    intern, would be well-received by the Derby community, etc.)
  - are there other projects like these that are worth considering?
  - how can we attract interns motivated to succeed at efforts
    like these?

Would you be interested in getting involved as a mentor for
one of these projects, or perhaps for another Derby project?
The more mentors we can get, the more students we can host, and
the more the Derby community benefits.

What is the next step? How should we capture and develop project
ideas such as these, and how can we start building interest for
interns who might want to apply for these projects? Should we
put this information somewhere in the wiki? How could we organize it?

thanks,

bryan

========================

Project: Derby Query Optimizer.

Join the Derby community and contribute to the ongoing development
of Derby's powerful and sophisticated query optimizer. We'll fix
optimizer bugs such as DERBY-4007, DERBY-3753, DERBY-3892 or
DERBY-2752; we'll improve servicability by enhancing tracing
(DERBY-837) or building tools for capturing and analyzing query plans;
if time permits, we could look to add new features such as
common sub-expression elimination (DERBY-890) or improved
sub-query processing (DERBY-2231). Work is also needed on optimizer
performance (DERBY-1905, DERBY-1906, DERBY-1907, DERBY-1908,
DERBY-2130) , optimizer regression testing, and optimizer documentation.

Project: Derby XML support.

Join the Derby community and contribute to the ongoing development
of Derby's standards-compliant XML support. We'll fix XML bugs such
as DERBY-3870, DERBY-2739, and DERBY-2106; we'll work on additional
XML support such as import/export (DERBY-1892), JDBC XML apis and the
java.sql.SQLXML data type, and of course we'll need to add to the
Derby XML test suites and documentation set.

Project: Derby Data Mining support.

Join the Derby community and contribute to the ongoing development
of Derby's standards-compliant data mining support (DERBY-581).
We'll fix bugs in the current support (DERBY-3634, DERBY-3635,
DERBY-3505); we'll add additional features such as ROLLUP (DERBY-3002)
and CUBE grouping functions, additional window functions, and
window behaviors such as ordering and partitioning; we'll need
to verify that these new features perform adequately, and we'll
also work on regression testing and documentation in this area of Derby.