db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JDK 1.4 support
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 17:04:29 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>> II) A straightforward way for derby-dev(elopers) to plug in other
>> libraries to verify at compile-time that
>>
>> a) the core engine doesn't spill outside the CDC/FP limits
>> b) the JDBC3 driver and network server don't spill outside the JDK1.4
>> limits
>
> Perhaps we are trying to force the build to do too much?
>
> Would it be easier to verify this via testing, than at build time?
>
> For example:
>  - to verify that we are compatible with JDK 1.4, we should test under
> 1.4
>  - to verify that we are compatible with JDBC 3.0, we should test
>    under JDBC 3.0
>  - to verify that we work in a CDC/FP environment, we should
>    test in a CDC/FP environment
>
> I have no idea whether this actually makes things simpler or
> harder, just wanted to toss this out there to see if it was useful.
>
> thanks,
>
> bryan
I don't think this would be a step backward for CDC/FP support. We rely
on test-time checks for our claims about small device support. For our
JDK1.4 claims, I think that we already provide support for plugging in
the JDK1.4 libraries so that we verify that support at compile-time. The
incremental work here would be a little tweaking to make the build use
the small device libraries (rather than the JDK1.4 libraries) when
building the core engine and network server. I'm guessing that this is
just a little tweaking but the devil could be in the details.

I think the bigger drudgery would be supplying JDBC3 and JDBC4 stubs in
order to support (I).

Regards,
-Rick