db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: JDK 1.4 support
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 16:49:32 GMT
> II) A straightforward way for derby-dev(elopers) to plug in other
> libraries to verify at compile-time that
>
> a) the core engine doesn't spill outside the CDC/FP limits
> b) the JDBC3 driver and network server don't spill outside the JDK1.4 limits

Perhaps we are trying to force the build to do too much?

Would it be easier to verify this via testing, than at build time?

For example:
  - to verify that we are compatible with JDK 1.4, we should test under 1.4
  - to verify that we are compatible with JDBC 3.0, we should test
    under JDBC 3.0
  - to verify that we work in a CDC/FP environment, we should
    test in a CDC/FP environment

I have no idea whether this actually makes things simpler or
harder, just wanted to toss this out there to see if it was useful.

thanks,

bryan