db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Observations on LocalizedDisplayScriptTest
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2008 08:25:23 GMT

> Recently I have been looking at this test because I was debugging a
> jvm specific failure and I noticed the following.
>
> 1) The system property derby.ui.codeset does not have any effect
> because the script is run with runScript which takes its own encoding
> parameter. The file always gets read in US-ASCII even though the file
> format is Cp932. (It uses the constructor for ScriptTestCase that sets
> the encoding to US-ASCII.)
> 2) The test seems to be testing  LOCALIZEDDISPLAY ON which would only
> affect date and time output format and not have anything to do with
> the special characters in the test.
>
> It seems like it might make the test easier to manage if we took out
> the ncharc column of the table and the special characters, took
> derby.ui.codeset out of the test and just had an ascii sql file and
> master.
>
> Thoughts?

Hi Kathey,

I have posted similar observations earlier in comments to DERBY-1726. I
reopened the issue now to get those comments addressed, and I also
pointed to this thread.

It might be OK to remove the non-ascii characters from that test, but I
still think it's worth testing that derby.ui.codeset works. Do we have
other tests for that currently?

--
Knut Anders