db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Observations on LocalizedDisplayScriptTest
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2008 18:57:44 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

> It might be OK to remove the non-ascii characters from that test, but I
> still think it's worth testing that derby.ui.codeset works. Do we have
> other tests for that currently?

The following tests use derby.ui.codeset:

i18n/LocalizedAttributeScriptTest.java
i18n/LocalizedDisplayScriptTest.java
tools/SysinfoLocaleTest.java

I assume LocalizedAttributeScriptTest has the same problem as
LocalizedDisplayScriptTest case, (but I haven't checked.) Since they use
runScript the derby.ui.codeset is not used.  SysinfoLocaleTest tests the
ouput of Sysinfo in UTF-8 format. It seems like it would be good to file
a Jira to test derby.ui.codeset.  I think it confuses the issue to try
to combine that testing with LocalizedDisplayScriptTest and we should
use a codeset supported by all the jvms, not Cp932 which is only
supported by IBM JVM's.   I must say also that I am a bit confused about
the scope of derby.ui.codeset, especially when running scripts.  It
might be good as part of the exercise of writing a new test, we beefed
up the documentation some too.

Thanks

Kathey