db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: @since tags in Derby code
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2008 14:25:34 GMT
Hi Kristian,

I would vote for binding @since tags to Derby release vehicles, e.g.,
"10.4.2.0". I'm hoping that we will not have to tie time in a knot again
the way that we did when we released 10.2. This means that the JDBC
expert group will need to uncouple their future JSRs from the master
JSRs of the JDK. That, in turn, will result in the following sequence of
events:

1) The JDBC expert group publishes the final spec for its next JDBC version.

2) Apache produces a Derby distribution which supports the new JDBC version.

3) Later on, a new JDK is released which incorporates the new JDBC version.

In this situation it does not make sense to me that @since should refer
to either the JDBC version or the JDK version. That is because the Derby
changes turn up some time after the JDBC spec is finalized and some time
before the JDK is released.

That, at least, is what makes sense to me.

Regards,
-Rick