db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject @since tags in Derby code
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2008 13:44:57 GMT
Hello,

In a patch I worked on, I came across JavaDoc where the first line of
the method documentation was "JDBC 3.0". This looks a bit odd in the
generated JavaDoc, so I decided to replace it with a @since tag.

When reviewing the patch, Knut Anders raised the issue of which value to
use for the tag.
I used "1.4" - for Java 1.4, which was the release vehicle for JDBC 3.0.
Knut Anders suggests using a Derby version, for instance "Derby 10.4.2.0".

There seems to be several artifacts we could version against:
  - Derby
  - JDBC specification
  - Java specification

It would be nice if the community could discuss the general usage of
@since tags, and also which values/versions to use with it.
Note that the tag value is "free form" - any text can be used.

There are only a few existing @since tags in the code base, so we have
the opportunity to correct the course early on.

regards,
--
Kristian