db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: Apache Derby Management Tool
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2008 15:31:51 GMT
Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@Sun.COM> writes:

> Derby may be the wrong place for your tool itself, however. I don't
> want to discourage you but it seems to me that the Derby charter
> pointedly excludes "Database GUI tooling":
> http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_charter.html#Database+Technology I
> hope that someone will correct me here if I am mis-interpreting that
> part of our charter. I don't know why the charter excludes GUI
> tools. I suppose the community could consider changing that clause.

When I read this wording I get the idea that the intention here is
exclude general database tools, e.f. for constructing SQL queries
based on existing tables etc. I am not sure the intention was to
exclude a dedicated tool to administer Derby? But I can see it is at
least arguable that exclusion is intended. Note that a command line
based management tool would not be excluded...

What would it take to change to charter wording to allow an
administration tool for Derby?

I think it would benefit Derby to make the threshold as low as
possible for people wanting to contribute in this area, by allowing
this to coexist with Derby.

Dag